Nuclear has a vital role in delivering net zero by 2050 and we are passionate about the role we all play in that.
From the decommissioning of legacy nuclear facilities, through to supporting nuclear generation and new build, our role is to support our customers to address the nuclear legacy and help deliver new build to ensure that nuclear is a key part of the energy solution for meeting the UK’s net zero commitments by 2050.
Clean energy is a core focus for Cavendish Nuclear through our support to existing reactors, the construction of Hinkley Point C and Sizewell C, and our work to develop advanced nuclear technologies for the future.
Our customers include:
- Nuclear New Build (NNB) Generation Company
- Hinkley Point C Limited
- Culham Centre for Fusion Excellence (CCFE)
- Design, integration and digital engineering
- Safety case expertise
- Environmental and liabilities consultancy
- Installation, welding and commissioning expertise
- Advanced manufacturing capability
- Training and comprehensive engineering support across the whole new nuclear build process
- Independent regulatory and license in compliance advice
Generation – We support EDF Energy in the operation of their Advanced Gas Reactors (AGRs) and Pressurised Water Reactor (PWR), utilising our expertise to help maintain and improve electricity generation across the EDF nuclear reactor fleet.
New build – We are part of the MEH (Mechanical, Electrical and HVAC – Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) Alliance, an innovative joint venture partnership between Hinkley Point C and all Tier One MEH and support services contractors delivering the erection sequence for the UK’s first new nuclear power station in two decades. We are also part of the HPC commissioning alliance.
Fusion – At Culham Centre for Fusion Energy (CCFE) we are supporting them in their mission to develop the nuclear fusion process, to produce carbon-free, safe and abundant electricity for a cleaner planet.
Modular reactors – We also support the wider clean energy market, including Small Modular Reactors (SMRs), Advanced Modular Reactors (AMRs) and the Advanced Nuclear Technologies (ANT) programme.
We are an active member of the Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (NAMRC) and we have manufacturing operations and capability at Whetstone and Rosyth; providing extensive facilities to support full mock-up assembly and off-site commissioning activities and a range of welding engineering services.
At our Whetstone facility we are supporting delivery of the first full-scale demonstration of modular construction for an advanced modular reactor.
Key projects/contracts include:
- EDF Strategic Lifetime Partnership – supporting the continued operation of EDF Energy’s existing reactor fleet.
- Hinkley Point C – Cavendish Nuclear is part of the MEH Alliance, which has a £986 million contract with EDF Energy to deliver all of the main mechanical, electrical, heating (MEH) and ventilation works for Hinkley Point C.
- Sizewell C Consortium – Cavendish Nuclear is a member of the Sizewell C Consortium.
- Moorside Consortium – Cavendish Nuclear is a member of the Moorside Consortium.
- U-Battery – Supporting Advanced Modular Reactor Development