Making progress at Dounreay in 2017/2018
Cavendish Nuclear, as the lead partner in the Cavendish Dounreay Partnership Joint Venture, which is responsible for managing the decommissioning of the Dounreay site, is proud of the progress that has been made across the site in the past year.
As highlighted in the Dounreay Achievements video, significant progress has been made while maintaining focus on safety, security and environmental compliance.
Key milestones include:
• Removing breeder fuel from the Dounreay Fast Reactor ,which has been inside the dome for decades
• Completed a 10 year project removing facilities supporting our oldest reactor
• Designed and built tools to dismantle the Dounreay Prototype Fast reactor
• Started to tackle the site's highest hazard, immobilising liquid raffinate in cement
• Completed initial groundwork for a new waste store
Simon Bowen, CEO Cavendish Nuclear and Dounreay Site Restoration Limited Chairman said,
"This brief video only provides a snapshot of the excellent work being delivered by the team to safely decommission the site. Everyone involved should be incredibly proud of the progress being made and I have every confidence that this pace will continue next year."